Monday 3 March 2014

Miu Miu S/S '14

Whilst the rest of the world is in meltdown over fashion month (oh yeah, and the potential outbreak of another Crimean war, to keep this in perspective), I've been losing interest in the whole circus.  Nothing I've seen on the catwalk for the upcoming autumn/winter season has really caught my eye, and even the street style I've seen has been fairly "meh".  I've liked a few looks from the usual suspects- Simone Rocha, Chloe, Dries Van Noten- but nothing wowed me, so instead, I've turned my attention to the current collections (to be fair, spring is always about a million times more exciting than the promise of cold, dark, rainy nights that come part and parcel with autumn).  I'm particularly enamoured of the S/S Miu Miu campaign, and the colourful crochet tights and lace-up knee high boots featured with every look.  They're the perfect solution to my end of winter wardrobe fatigue. 

I must admit, I haven't been paying all that much attention to Miu Miu the past couple of years, and I can't even remember if I bothered looking at this last fashion week.  Seeing the Elle Fanning ad in this month's Vogue awakened my curiosity though, and I'm thoroughly smitten.  I think generally, it's difficult to get a proper feel for a collection just by seeing it on the catwalk, and there have been a lot of times I've failed to notice something until I see it in print, both in ad campaigns and in editorials.  I'm all for the democratisation of fashion, and whilst things like live streaming/instragramming/tweeting have brought the once rarified experience of seeing a fashion show to the masses, I think it's also taken away our ability to properly digest what we see.  Everyone is so hungry for the newest (and therefore best) designer offering, that we forget what's in front of us.  At the moment all I want is to focus on the upcoming season, not to wish it away thinking about what I may or may not like in six months' time.  So I'm all about slow fashion- taking the time to flip through a physical magazine, and noting what makes me stop and stare, wanting to absorb a certain image, or piece of writing.  Somehow this all gets lost whilst scrolling through endless photos on a screen.  So this spring, I'm mainly planning to revive my old habit of scrapbooking, cutting and pasting my favourite magazine photos, saving them for a rainy, inspiration-less day.  Meanwhile,  I'll spending every free moment scouring ebay for vintage lace-up boots...

No comments:

Post a Comment