Saturday 19 January 2013

Craving: Dungarees




 
Clockwise- Chloe A/W 09, Zara, Topshop, Topshop Unique A/W 12









I'm quite predictable in my fashion obsessions.  I start off admiring something from afar, then slowly becoming obsessed with it and deciding I absolutely need to own the most perfect version I can find.  At the moment, that something is a pair of dungarees.  Admittedly, it's not terribly original, but it's one of those things that have been slowly creeping into my consciousness in the past few months and suddenly there are variations everywhere.  A dressy black pair is something I've actually wanted for a couple of years now- I remember finding a perfect silk pair in Cos, but by that point they were in the sale and there were none left in anything close to my size.  I tried to get them on ebay, but was always outbid, so I eventually gave up on the idea.  Cue Topshop Unique's A/W 12 and the most perfect velvet dungarees ever.  Which were close to £200.  They sold out before I could even begin to rationalise them to myself and I wrote them off as not meant to be.  And then I spotted a nearly identical silk version in a magazine, also from Topshop.  When they eventually turned up online, I ordered them and waited with baited breath for them to arrive.  They didn't fit.  Then Zara came up with something similar, though I was only able to find them in a size medium, which I had to admit looked more clown-like than insouciantly slouchy on me.  Topshop's since churned out a few more versions, both long and short, and I'm currently waiting on a playsuit, and the JW Anderson pinafore dress to arrive - fingers crossed at least one fits and suits me!  Then I can move on to trying to track down the perfect denim version which doesn't make me look like an overgrown child...

Fashion Quarterly winter 2010, Uniform, Lonely Hearts A/W 11

Dungaree inspiration.  Left- Asos Pinterest, Right- can't remember for the life of me

No comments:

Post a Comment